- •The incidence of delayed irAEs >12 months after commencing anti-PD-1 was 5.3%.
- •Delayed irAEs occurred in 118 patients; these were often high grade (39% G3+) including two delayed irAE-related deaths.
- •Delayed irAEs were often difficult to manage; 68% required steroids and 23% required an additional immunosuppressive agent.
- •Most occurred during anti-PD-1 therapy (74%), but delayed irAEs were also reported up to 26 months after stopping anti-PD-1.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
- Management of toxicities from immunotherapy: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up†.Ann Oncol. 2017; 28: iv119-iv142
- Safety profile of Nivolumab Monotherapy: a pooled analysis of patients with advanced melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 785-792
- Survival, durable tumor remission, and long-term safety in patients with advanced melanoma receiving Nivolumab.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1020-1030
- Five-year survival with combined nivolumab and ipilimumab in advanced melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1535-1546
- Long-term immune-related adverse events under PD-1 inhibitors: a multicenter prospective cohort study (MELBASE).J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 10057
- Delayed immune-related events (DIRE) after discontinuation of immunotherapy: diagnostic hazard of autoimmunity at a distance.J Immunother Cancer. 2019; 7: 165
- A case report of clonal EBV-like memory CD4+ T cell activation in fatal checkpoint inhibitor-induced encephalitis.Nat Med. 2019; 25: 1243-1250
- Immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced inflammatory arthritis persists after immunotherapy cessation.Ann Rheum Dis. 2020; 79: 332-338
- Pembrolizumab versus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma (KEYNOTE-006): post-hoc 5-year results from an open-label, multicentre, randomised, controlled, phase 3 study.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 1239-1251
- Five-year survival outcomes for patients with advanced melanoma treated with pembrolizumab in KEYNOTE-001.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 582-588
- Durable complete response after discontinuation of pembrolizumab in patients with metastatic melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 1668-1674
- Discontinuation of anti-PD-1 antibody therapy in the absence of disease progression or treatment limiting toxicity: clinical outcomes in advanced melanoma.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 1154-1161
- Long-term outcomes and responses to retreatment in patients with melanoma treated with PD-1 blockade.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 1655-1663
- FDG-PET response and outcome from anti-PD-1 therapy in metastatic melanoma.Ann Oncol. 2018; 29: 2115-2120
- Identification of the optimal combination dosing schedule of neoadjuvant Ipilimumab plus Nivolumab in macroscopic stage III melanoma (OpACIN-neo): a multicentre, phase 2, randomised, controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 948-960
- Immune checkpoint inhibitor toxicities: systems-based approaches to improve patient care and research.Lancet Oncol. 2020; 21: e398-e404